Photography Success above all means producing beautiful images. Images that are timeless and loved for generations. This success is not only my responsibility by what is captured by my camera but by the communication I have with my clients. Therefore I provide preperation guides for every genre of photography I capture.
Tips and Tricks for Newborn Photography Success
Newborn photography sessions are so much more than beautiful backdrops and adorable babies placed into cute squishy poses. It is a photography investment. The session itself is the end result of planning and preparing. For instance, to help aid parents in preparation of their session I provide a detailed preparation guide of what they may do to help the session run smoother.
The personalized design of a session in addition to the preparation guide can take a newborn photo session from good to amazing.
Newborn Preparation Guide
BEFORE THE SESSION
- Please give your baby a bath the day prior to the session.
- If you are breast feeding please avoid eating anything spicy or gas inducing. (i.e. Pizza, spicy sauces, garlic, broccoli, Thai/Indian food, high fat etc.) Spicy food might upset baby’s tummy for 24 hours preceding your session. It is best to eat a relatively bland diet the 24 hours before your newborn session.
- ***DO NOT CIRCUMSISE your baby boy right before your session. I will be wrapping him tightly while naked and moving him between poses which can be painful with a circumcision. Newborn boys will not be photographed if they have been circumcised less than 6 days prior to the session.
- Please remove all band-aids from your baby the day prior to your session.
DAY OF THE SESSION
- Please feed your baby just before leaving your home this allows time to for them to digest and hopefully prevent a gassy tummy.
- Please bring a pacifier with you to help prevent full wake ups and maintain that slumber. I understand that many mothers are trying to avoid a pacifier during this time of learning to breastfeed, however I hope you’ll consider that pacifiers are so useful in soothing fussy babies back to sleep. If you are not comfortable with the use of a pacifier please let us know. We are absolutely on board with whatever you choose!
- Please dont forget extra formula/breast milk and diapers for your baby. Baby needs to be fed on demand (as hungry) during the session to maintain a sleepy state for the best variety of images. I do have extras if we run out or forget!!
- Please dress baby in loose fitting clothes to avoid lines on their skin. A onesie that opens in the front is best as this avoids having to lift anything over baby’s head.
- The studio will be warm for the comfort of the baby please have everyone dressed in layers to remain comfortable during the session.
Photography Success | Other Considerations
- Please be on time for your session as time is limited. I allow for a 15-minute window for being late as I realize life happens and almost inevitably your baby will fill their diaper just as your walking out the door.
- Please do not bring your own props. You are investing in me to provide a stylized session. To produce images with cohesion in colour and design.
- Most importantly don’t stress if your baby is not sleeping well! This is a common occurrence in newborn photography. Just sit back and relax and enjoy some much-needed quiet time, have a nap, read a book, watch some television, have some snacks and let me take care of the res
- I definitely allow parents to view as I am working with baby but please leave talking to a minimum as it slows down the session progress. There can be very limited time to work with the sleeping baby.
With every newborn portrait session there will be variables. All newborns are humans and they have good days and bad days therefore even with the best preparation not every session is easy or possible. I do my utmost to create all the right conditions for a successful newborn photo session for instance a warm room temperature, white noise, a calm studio but sometimes everyone has an off day. Which is totally understandable. I do the best I can to make a portrait session possible and if its not we try for another day.
10 Tips for Successful Newborn Sessions